Greater Manchester housing providers deliver 1500 new homes despite pandemic

Greater Manchester Housing Providers completed 1,522 new homes in the city region in 2020/21, 49.5% of them for social and affordable rent.
The Greater Manchester skyline

A partnership of 27 housing associations and ALMOs across Greater Manchester has reported continued development over the last 12 months, completing over 1500 new homes despite the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Greater Manchester Housing Providers (GMHP) has reported completing 1522 homes in the city region during the 2020/21 financial year, starting a total of 2277 new homes.

The partnership invested over £340 million in new housing in Greater Manchester in 2020/21, also securing planning consent for 1860 new properties.

Almost half the new homes GMHP completed in 2020/21 were for social and affordable rent. The partnership also reported making significant investment in supported housing and homes for low-cost ownership such as shared ownership and Rent to Buy.

Matthew Harrison, chief executive of Great Places Housing Group and GMHP lead for growth and development, said: “With the pandemic demonstrating more than ever the importance of good quality housing to people’s health and wellbeing, this delivery of new homes is something we are extremely proud of, particularly given the challenges faced over the last 15 months.

“The first lockdown led to the temporary closure of most of our building sites, and the ongoing safety measures have had a significant impact on GMHP partners, contractors and their supply chains.

“However, it’s testament to the hard work and flexibility of GMHP’s development teams and contractors that we were able to adapt quickly, operate effectively under COVID-secure working practices, and continue to deliver significant volumes of high-quality new homes that meet the needs of people across Greater Manchester.”

Collectively, GMHP’s partners house one in five people across Greater Manchester, owning and managing over 250,000 affordable homes across the city region.

The partnership was established in 2010. It is now responsible for over a third of new homes built annually in Greater Manchester.

According to GMHP’s figures, 37.5% of the homes it completed in 2020/21 were for affordable rent, while 12% were for social rent.

Shared ownership and Rent to Buy homes made up 29% of the partnership’s completions last year, while 11% were supported housing. The remaining 10.5% of homes it completed were for market rent and sale.

89% of the homes GMHP completed in 2020/21 were the result of commissioned development. The remaining 11% were section 106 acquisitions.

“As well as providing new housing throughout Greater Manchester, the GMHP investment in new homes also means job opportunities, training opportunities and apprenticeships for local people,” Harrison added. “This ‘added value’ is at the heart of GMHP’s work.

“As local organisations and employers, GMHP partners contribute hugely to the economic wellbeing of Greater Manchester, and our investment in new homes helps not only with improving housing quality and choice, but also supports households and communities in other ways too.”

Image: The Greater Manchester skyline. Credit: Paul Rhoades/Pixabay.

Related Posts