Thirteen, who manages around 35,000 homes across the North East and Yorkshire is backing the campaign, which sees organisations from across the UK working together to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
Gas services manager Lee Bramley said: “The safety of our customers is our priority. We’re proud that 100% of our properties are up to date with their gas safety checks and we’re working hard to keep it that way.
A gas safety check doesn’t take long to carry out, but if customers miss their appointment, faulty appliances won’t be identified and could be dangerous, so we’re asking that our customers help us, by ensuring our engineers can get the access they need.
It’s important to never DIY when it comes to gas appliances and instead leave it to the experts – registered gas engineers who are legally qualified to make sure your appliances are working safely and efficiently.
Gas appliances that have regular checks are also more efficient, so customers may save money, if they’re using less energy.”
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Sadly, every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas, and even though you can’t see it, taste it or smell it, it can kill quickly.
Thirteen offer flexible appointments to suit their customers, so anyone who hasn’t had their annual gas safe check carried out and has an outstanding appointment, can contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0300 111 1000.
There are some simple steps to help keep you safe and warm in your home.
- Please always keep your appointment to allow us into your home to carry out our annual gas safety check.
- Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances. You can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk.
- All our engineers are Gas Safe Registered. Please check their ID card before allowing them into your home.
- Recognise the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.
- Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.